Mo. - Fr. 08.00 - 18.00 Uhr
Kanzleien in Bonn, Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Dresden, Hamburg & Berlin
Dr. Brauer RechtsanwälteDr. Brauer Rechtsanwälte

Rewriting a foreign driver’s license in Germany – deadlines and penalties

Rewriting a foreign driver’s license in Germany – deadlines and penalties

Zuletzt aktualisiert am 6. Juli 2023

When do I have to exchange a foreign driving licence in Germany? - What are the deadlines and what are the penalties?

Text auf deutsch anzeigen deutsche sprache

Again and again, holders of foreign driving licences from non-EU countries get into trouble with the police in Germany because they have forgotten to have their document changed within the statutory period of six months. The legal situation is clear. The details are regulated by the German Driving Licence Ordinance (Fahrerlaubnis-Verordnung – FeV) in § 31 and Annex 11.

Missed the deadline for rewriting?

We'll take care of it for you!
contact now

  • Experienced lawyers specializing in traffic law

  • Quick help

  • Experienced and competent

Dr. Brauer Rechtsanw?lte

Call now:
0228 25 999 361

You can also reach our lawyers via WhatsApp:

WhatsApp Kontakt direkt zum Anwalt

You can find our contact form here

How long can I drive in Germany with a foreign driving licence?


In Germany, you are only allowed to drive a motor vehicle with a foreign driving licence for six months. It must be rewritten within this period, otherwise the driving licence becomes invalid and driving is no longer permitted.

The period of six months starts from the day on which one has a "normal residence" in Germany. For a "normal residence", you have to live in Germany for at least 185 days a year.

If you have not been ordinarily resident in Germany for more than 12 months, you can extend the six-month period by a further six months, i.e. to a maximum of one year.

Within the six-month period, you must carry a translation of your driving licence if it is not in English.

Who has to have a foreign driving licence transferred in Germany?


Only driving licences from so-called third countries, i.e. countries that are not members of the European Union or the European Economic Area (EEA), have to be transferred. In addition to the EU member states, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway are also members of the EEA. The Third EU Driving Licence Directive applies to holders of driving licences from EU and EEA states. According to this directive, all driving licences are mutually recognised within the EU and the EEA.

The obligation to transfer driving licences also applies, for example, to Switzerland and, since "Brexit", to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Anyone who has their foreign driving licence transferred must observe a number of rules.

Three groups of countries are distinguished for the transcription:

  • States listed in Schedule 11 of the Driving Licence Ordinance, where no theoretical or practical test is required. In some cases, an eye test is required. In some cases, the test is not waived for all driving licence classes.

  • Several US states and territories listed in Schedule 11 of the Driving Licence Ordinance where a theory test is required. A practical test is not required.

  • All other states not listed in Schedule 11 of the Driving Licence Ordinance. In the case of driving licences from these states, a theoretical and practical test must be passed before the licence can be transferred.

You can find Annex 11 to the Driving Licence Ordinance here in German: Zur Anlage 11

Your local driving licence authority can give you more detailed information. They will also tell you the exact costs of the transfer. They are usually between 35 and 50 EURO. If additional examinations and tests are required, the costs are considerably higher.

The foreign driving licence is usually confiscated or returned to the issuing authority abroad. It will be noted on the new German driving licence that it is a transfer of a driving licence from a third country.

Are there exceptions to the obligation to transcribe foreign driving licences?


As already mentioned above, driving licences from EU states and EEA states do not have to be transcribed. They only have to be valid according to the regulations of the respective country. When the validity expires, a new driving licence must be applied for in Germany.

The obligation to transfer a foreign driving licence also does not apply to persons who are only staying in Germany for a short time, such as tourists.

However, they must still observe certain regulations. For example, minors (persons under the age of 18) are not allowed to drive a motor vehicle in Germany, even if it is permitted in their home country.

What happens if I do not have my foreign driving licence transferred within the time limit?


If you do not re-register your foreign driving licence in Germany within the six-month period, you will no longer be allowed to drive a motor vehicle thereafter. If you are caught by the police, you will be charged with a criminal offence: driving without a licence. According to § 21 of the Road Traffic Act (Straßenverkehrsgesetz), you must expect a prison sentence of up to one year or a fine.

Charged with driving without a licence? - Lawyer helps!


Did a police check reveal that your foreign driving licence is no longer valid and did you receive a report for this?

As a foreign citizen, you will usually have no knowledge of the German legal system. Therefore, you should hire a lawyer to defend you. He or she will be able to examine the specific circumstances of your case in detail after inspecting the investigation file and thus ensure that the penalty is as low as possible. If the authorities have made mistakes, the criminal proceedings may even be dropped in individual cases.

Dr. Brauer Lawyers specialise in traffic law. We work as defence lawyers throughout Germany. Simply contact us using the form on this page, by e-mail or telephone (WhatsApp is also welcome)!

Hier finden Sie unser Kontaktformular

Über den Autor
Dr. Matthias Brauer LL.M.

Rechtsanwalt und Fachanwalt Dr. Matthias Brauer ist Kanzleiinhaber und verfügt vor allem im Strafrecht und Verkehrsrecht über eine große Praxiserfahrung.

Standorte der Kanzlei Dr. Brauer Rechtsanwälte sind in Bonn, Frankfurt am Main, Dresden, Hamburg, Stuttgart, Nürnberg, München und Berlin. Von dort aus vertreten die Anwälte und Strafverteidiger Mandanten aus und in ganz Deutschland.

Sie haben konkrete Fragen oder benötigen einen starken Rechtsbeistand: Dann sprechen Sie mit einem unserer Experten.

Fachanwalt f?r Strafrecht - Dr. Matthias Brauer LL.M.

Wichtiger Hinweis: Sämtliche Informationen auf unserer Website und in unserem Rechtsblog dienen ausschließlich allgemeinen Informationszwecken. Sie stellen keine Rechtsberatung dar und können eine individuelle Beratung durch einen Anwalt nicht ersetzen. Bei jeglichen rechtlichen Angelegenheiten müssen immer die Besonderheiten des Einzelfalls berücksichtigt werden. Auch wenn wir unsere Inhalte stets aktualisieren, kann sich die Rechtslage durch neue Urteile oder Gesetze zwischenzeitlich geändert haben. Wenn Sie eine rechtssichere Auskunft zu Ihrem speziellen Problem benötigen, kontaktieren Sie uns für eine persönliche Beratung.

Rewriting a foreign driver’s license in Germany – deadlines and penalties Zuletzt aktualisiert: 06.07.2023 von Dr. Matthias Brauer LL.M

4 Kommentare

  • Akash

    29. März 2023 - 22:55


    I have been living in Germany for 7 months, and I have a valid Indian Driving license, Is it still possible for me to get my license transferred?

    Thank You,

    • Dr. Brauer Rechtsanwälte

      30. März 2023 - 10:54

      Hello Akash,

      You should get your Indian driving licence transferred as soon as possible. This is possible even after the statutory period of six months has expired. However, you are not allowed to drive a motor vehicle until the licence has been changed. Otherwise, you risk criminal charges if you are stopped by the police.

      Best wishes
      Dr. Brauer Rechtsanwälte

  • Gonzalo Garcia

    9. Februar 2023 - 13:59


    I want to exchange my Argentinian driving licence ot the German license. My main concern is that I lived in Germany since 2019 and in 2020 I had to renew my Argentinian licence because of it’s expiration date. I want to know how can I prove that I possess driving license since before that time (more than 10 years), given than the date in my license is from 2020.

    Thank you,

    • Dr. Matthias Brauer LL.M

      9. Februar 2023 - 16:54

      to do this, it is best to contact the Argentine authorities. They will be able to confirm for you how long you have had your driver’s license.

      Best wishes

Kommentar hinterlassen

Phone icon
Jetzt anrufen
WhatsApp icon
WhatsApp Kontakt
Dr. Brauer Rechtsanwälte hat 4,91 von 5 Sternen 967 Bewertungen auf